Erindale College has an excellent reputation for supporting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students with their education, vocational training and sporting careers. In 2011, Erindale College was the winner of a National Australia Bank Schools First Award ($50,000) and the ACT Government Education and Training 2011 ACT Training Excellence Awards in the VET in Schools Award category in recognition of the support the school provided to Indigenous students. To further improve student education, training and career pathway outcomes, Erindale College has established an Indigenous Centre of Excellence; the Mindyigari Centre.
The Centre provides:
- Dedicated staff to provide individual tutoring, homework and assignment support
- Regular meeting times and a meeting place for students, teachers and visiting guests to assist with cultural connections and career pathways
- Australian School-based Apprenticeship applications and ongoing support
- Post-school transition assistance including help with accessing university, technical and further education traineeship / apprenticeship applications and career pathway planning.
- Links with community agencies and organisations and timely communication with family
- Cultural programs and excursions
- Assistance with university entrance and scholarship applications
- Opportunities to engage in special projects for Indigenous students including:
- CIT Cultural Arts Certificate I and II
- Landcare 'Village Nursery' Project
- Core of Life Transition Program with ACT Health
- Leadership programs.
- Student Aspirations Program
- Australian Indigenous Mentoring Experience Program (AIME)